Millions in Zimbabwe are impacted by food crisis

Latest UN reports have announced an emergency appeal for the African country of Zimbabwe. In the report, the UN warned that a third of the population, which accounted to more than five million people were in need of humanitarian support and aid.

The World Food Programme (WFP) has initiated an appeal of $331m (£270m) in order to keep the country away from the effects of cyclone, drought and other economic crisis. According to a statement issued by David Beasley, head of the WFP, he said that many of the people were “in crisis emergency mode… marching towards starvation”.

Zimbabwe who once enjoyed the status of being high yielding, is now facing frequent incidence of commotion. Moreover, the region also records devastation of harvest owning to frequent episodes of drought, thus resulting into a swift raise in food prices.

The hydro-electric plant at Kariba has been affected by low water levels which has led to power cuts across the country.

While announcing the appeal on Tuesday, Beasley said about 2.5 million people were on the brink of starvation.

“We are talking about people who truly are marching towards starvation if we are not here to help them,” he commented. “We are facing a drought unlike any that we have seen in a long time.”

The problems in Zimbabwe aggravated due to the occurrence of Cyclone Idai earlier this year in the region. The storm hit parts of Mozambique and Malawi upsetted the life of 570,000 Zimbabweans. The episode also left tens of thousands of the population homeless.

According to a report of the finance minister, Mthuli Ncube, the government had made provisions of supplying grains to 757,000 rural as well as urban homes, since January.

On Tuesday, veteran ruler Robert Mugabe was preceded by President Emmerson Mnangagwa in November 2017. Mnangagwa had announced the drought as a national disaster.

The UN had appealed $294m for Zimbabwe, however it also hinted on drawing more funds since the impact of droughts was intensifying.