April 2 is observed as World Autism Awareness Day. It is one of the four days related to health maladies observed by the UN. The UN initiated the commencement of the day for Autism Disorder in 2007, in order to increase world awareness. April 2, 2019, marks the twelfth anniversary of World Autism Awareness Day.
Quick Facts on Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD):
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) quoted that approximately 1 in 59 children are diagnosed with ASD in 2018.
- ASD is more common in boys than in girls.
- Early Diagnosis of ASD, preferably in the first two years of life, increases the chances of curing the disease.
- Although researchers cannot put a finger on the exact reason for autism. The root causes can be either due to genetic and medical dysfunctions or also due to environmental stimuli.
Common Behavioral Traits of autistic children:
- Children with autism suffer from nonverbal communication.
- 31% of children with ASD are intellectually challenged.
- Drowning is a common cause of death among autistic children.
- Bolting and Wandering is also common among children with ASD.
- Autistic children often suffer from Anxiety and Depression and indulge in self-harming activities. Head banging, biting and skin scratching are among the most common habits.
- Repetitive behavioral traits like, rocking, hand flapping, twirling, jumping, slipping, etc. are common among children with ASD.
- They also suffer from chronic gastrointestinal problems.
- Adults with Autism are more affected with Schizophrenia.